The ONE Campaign, a global organization campaigning to end extreme poverty and preventable disease, recently released a new video announcing the launch of #PassTheMic, a campaign featuring global health, economic and policy experts, frontline workers and celebrities joining together to discuss the need for a global response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The video launching the campaign features celebrities such as Penelope Cruz, Julia Roberts, Shailene Woodley and Rainn Wilson, and experts such as Ngozi Okonjo Iweala (Chair, Gavi Board and former Finance Minister of Nigeria), Jen Kates (Director of Global Health & HIV Policy, The Kaiser Family Foundation) and more.
Starting May 21, 2020 with Julia Roberts and Dr. Anthony Fauci and continuing for three weeks, celebrities will turn over their social media accounts and followers to frontline workers, health, economic and other experts. Experts will share their perspectives – grounded in data, science and facts – and talk about why a global response to this pandemic is so crucial.
Participants in the campaign include: Yemi Alade, Connie Britton, Millie Bobby Brown, Danai Gurira, Hugh Jackman, David Oyelowo, Sarah Jessica Parker, Busy Philipps, Rita Wilson, Robin Wright and more. Experts from around the world will be featured including Dr. Anthony Fauci (Director, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases), Dr. Bill Frist (Former US Senator from TN), Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf (Former President of Liberia), Vera Songwe (Executive Secretary of the Economic Commission for Africa), Craig Spencer (Director of Global Health in Emergency Medicine, New York-Presbyterian/Columbia University Medical Center).
Below is a schedule of the first six #PassTheMic pairings:
- Thursday, May 21: Julia Roberts and Dr. Anthony Fauci (Director, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases)
- Friday, May 22: Shailene Woodley and Dame Minouche Shafik (Director, London School of Economics)
- Saturday, May 23: Jennifer Nettles and Dr. Bill Frist (Former Senate Majority Leader and US Senator from Tennessee)
- Sunday, May 24: Calum Worthy and Dr. Issac Olufadewa (Executive Director, Slum and Rural Health Initiative)
- Monday, May 25: David Oyelowo and Gayle Smith (President & CEO, ONE)
- Tuesday, May 26: Hugh Jackman and President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf (Former President of Liberia)
For more information on #PassTheMic, including social content for the takeovers, and a full list of the celebrity and expert pairings, follow ONE on social media for announcements about upcoming takeovers, or visit https://www.one.org/us/take-action/oneworld/passthemic/