I love sharing the experience of music with my kids. We are frequently blasting tunes in the car where I get to belt out my favorite songs. Probably very off-key, I would imagine! I also love attending live shows with the kids like at the Symphony Space in NYC.
They recently announced their complete schedule of Just Kidding performances 2016-17 season, including GRAMMY-winning family concerts, physical comedy, puppetry, musical theatre, and percussive dance performances from internationally acclaimed companies. They also have performing arts options called “Social Space” that are geared towards families with children ages 2 and up before all performances.
This fall, the Just Kidding season kicks off on Saturday, October 1 at 11 am with a concert with Brooklyn based Vered and the Babes. Blending guitar, bass, french horn, trumpet and percussion, Vered and the Babes create harmonies and beats reminiscent of a doo-wop band. Their upbeat original songs are designed to get the kids jumping; Red Tricycle says their music is “one big jazzy love song to childhood.” Next up on October 8 at 11 am is independent nationally touring artist and humorist Steve Weeks, whose “folk-hop” tunes always feature an outlandish or touching tale. NPR lauds his “catchy beats with a lot of clever wordplay and fun stories.”
On Saturday, October 15th at 11 am is an all-ages theatrical music extravaganza, “Life’s a Real Dream,” by LARD Dog and the Band of Shy.The show features a cartoon character come-to-life who descends from planet Belopio on a Giant Pretzel to take your family on a rockabilly tinged musical journey of absurdism, frivolity, and unbridled joy that’s been compared to Yo Gabba Gabba and Devo. On October 22, celebrate Halloween early with the Frogtown Mountain Puppeteers, performing the classic Washington Irving tale, “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow,” and on October 29th, Lightwire Theater returns to Symphony Space with their acclaimed luminescent, glow-in-the-dark performance of favorite fairy tales, “The Ugly Duckling” and “Tortoise and the Hare.” Families may enjoy a Social Space activity area before this show in the Sharp theatre.
The Just Kidding season continues most weekends through May 2017.
Just Kidding at the Symphony Space from November to January includes:
- Saturday, November 12 at 11 am and 2 pm – Cardboard Explosion (puppetry with cardboard and tons of good humor and imagination)
- Saturday, November 19 at 2 pm – National Dance Institute Celebration Team (more than 100 NYC youth dance in a performance of “Words with Wings”). Families may enjoy a Social Space activity area pre-show.
- Saturday, December 10 at 11 am and 2 pm – Justin Roberts and the Not Ready for Naptime Players (playing hits and acoustic pop songs from new album “Lemonade”). Families may enjoy a Social Space activity area pre-show.
- Saturday, December 17 at 11 am and 2 pm – Puppetkabob: The Snowflake Men (Czech-style marionettes tell story of pioneering snowflake photographer)
- Saturday, January 7 at 11 am and 2pm – Les Parfaits Inconnus (physical comedy, acrobatics and juggling with live music)
- Sunday, January 8 at 11 am and 2pm – Playing by Air (spectacular juggling and musical feats); 3 pm – Stam-Pede (a percussive dance showcase with multiple companies)
Symphony Space is located at 2537 Broadway (at 96th St.) in New York. Adults and kids alike will enjoy simplified lower ticket prices this season. All tickets are $17, or $14 for members (babies under six months admitted free).
For more info, please visit: https://www.symphonyspace.org/events/series/77/just-kidding