6th Annual Block Party “Power Play” at the Rubin Museum
July 21 @ 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
On Sunday, July 21, the Rubin Museum of Art will host its 6th annual Block Party “Power Play,” an all-day outdoor event featuring hands-on art making, performances, participatory experiences, free museum admission, and much more.
Inspired by the Rubin’s yearlong thematic exploration of Power, activities will incorporate this theme while making connections to the art, cultures and ideas of the Himalayas. Drawing thousands of New Yorkers, the Block Party is the Rubin’s biggest annual event for all ages and will take over West 17th Street between 6th and 7th Avenues.
Highlights of the 6th annual Block Party “Power Play,” include:
- Art making activities – stress balls, portable lamps, Tibetan Namkhas, and more.
- Participatory experiences for all ages – guided meditation, collaborative floral making, create your own DJ track, Himalayan constellation and magnetic force exploration, Playgami AR experience, and artist Milcah Bassel exploring movement
- Live performances including Power Painting where artists take inspiration from music to drive their painting; Building Beats, empowering youth through music; and Fogo Azul Brazilian Women’s Drumline, and Nepal Hip Hop Foundation
- Activities led by community organizations Grassroots Movement in Nepal, Siddhartha School, Tibetan Community of NY/NJ, YindaYin Coaching, and more
- Snack and refreshments by Café Serai, Van Leeuwen Ice Cream, Yanni’s Coffee, People’s Pops, The Commons Chelsea, Sweetface Snoballs
- Free museum admission all day
Free and open to the public (includes FREE admission to the Museum all day)
Rain or shine