We are so excited about the warmer months ahead for exploring and spending time outdoors. In a month, you can enjoy the first event from the Brooklyn Bridge Park Conservancy with Lift Off: A Waterfront Kite Festival.
Held on Saturday, May 5, 2018, this FREE family-friendly event on Pier 1 at Brooklyn Bridge Park is a great way for kids of all ages to watch their kites soar above the Manhattan skyline and enjoy special activities exploring the science of flight. Kids can bring their kites to let soar and their will also be kites that you can purchase at the event.
The event will emphasize S.T.E.A.M concepts and outdoor adventures and also include live DJs playing music, stilt walkers, jugglers, and a large-scale bubble show featuring giant bubbles large enough to put kids inside of make for a fun filled afternoon.
Some activities you can check out Lift Off: A Waterfront Kite Festival include:
- Brooklyn Bridge Park Conservancy’s own Environmental Education Center will host a DIY pinwheel station where visitors can build and decorate pinwheels to see the wind in action.
- The Brooklyn Robot Foundry will host classes where attendees can use craft materials to build parachutes and mini light-up LED passengers to put inside the parachutes. Wind tunnels will also be set up so that builders can test out their parachutes and learn about lift and drag.
- Genspace, a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting science literacy through public access to biotechnology, will sample the air’s environment using petri dishes attached to kites in order to find out what inhabits the air that we breathe.
- Nory will make air kites to teach how circulating air can make objects move and will bring DIY motorized contraptions that are relevant to flight/moving air, such as a robotic air propeller. Nory will also show children how to put together a simple circuit, and teach the functionality of each part of the circuit.
- Private Picassos will host a table where visitors can create their own rockets. Not only will these rockets each have their own unique design, Private Picassos will help make them fly through the air.
- SPARK! Join SPARK by Brooklyn Children’s Museum to soak up the sun and make a colorful hand kite from a variety of textiles that will leap, twirl, and fly into spring! Learn about Spark’s early childhood classes and fun drop-in play hours, and get a discount admission coupon for your next visit.
- STEM Kids NYC is an education company that bridges the gap between the current curriculum in schools and the immediate need for schools to prepare students for future STEM opportunities. Join this organization as they take a basic lunch bag and turn it into a kite that you can fly at the festival.
Lift Off: A Waterfront Kite Festival Details
Saturday, May 5, 2018
Pier 1 Harbor View Lawn
Brooklyn Bridge Park
12:00 – 2:30 PM
Note: activities may change. The event has no rain date